Unique Sisters mentors provide support to their mentees as they go through the Unique Sisters experience. Mentors are a key part of the Unique Sisters community, supporting the learning, development, and exploration of the mentees.
Description of a Unique Sisters mentor
A mentor is an individual who wants to have a positive impact on a young adult’s life. He or she is a trusted person, who is caring and provides positive solutions and support. As a mentor, you will have the opportunity to provide access to people, places, and things outside the mentee’s daily routine and environment..
• Active listener
• Flexible, open, and approachable
• Dependable and enthusiastic
• Nonjudgmental attitude
• Resourceful and able to support mentees as they strive toward their educational or career goals
• Make a commitment of a minimum of 12 months to mentoring a Unique Sister mentee.
• Meet in-person with mentee for four (4) hours per month. Additional contact each month by phone or e-mail is also allowed, as needed.
• Participate in monthly service or group mentoring activities.
• Communicate twice a month with mentor coordinator.
• Attend program ceremonies, including a matching ceremony and a match celebration at the end of the program year.
• Provide all needed data for program evaluation.
Mentor eligibility requirements
• Must be over 18 years of age
• Must complete an application
• Attend a face-to-face interview session
• Pass criminal record and child abuse registry checks
• Satisfactory employment and personal reference checks
Volunteers will be matched with a youth for a minimum of 12 months.
• Guide young adults towards achieving their education and career goals, while gaining a new friend
• Experience the fulfillment of watching a Unique Sister mentee grow, develop skill, and gain confidence
• Enhance growth by modeling good values and judgment
• Become a part of a new network of change agents
• Learn more about your community and its diversity and its future